It's been nearly a week since the Kohlrabi Kraze. We figure we'd give you a week before inundating you with yet another kohlrabi post. Last week you could not go anywhere without hearing about kohlrabi. We are sorry (not sorry) with overloading you with kohlrabi news. Can you blame us? We had 500lbs to sell in two hours! Our fear of carting away so many kohlrabies had us in a panic.
But we never should have doubted you, Yellowknife. Of course you would be krazy enough to line up for a weird, spaceship like vegetable you have never tried. Of course you would enthusiastically buy 500lbs of it in under two hours. For this, we are forever grateful. For saving us from having to haul hundreds of pounds of kohlrabi away in defeat.
More Kohlrabi Ideas
If you have not eaten your kohlrabi, rest assured that they will stay good in the fridge for at least another two weeks or so. If you're still wondering what to do kohlrabi, reading this post should help. Still need more ideas? How about trying out one of these recipes?
Asian Shredded Kohlrabi and Carrot Salad with Mint and Toasted Peanuts
Recipe and photos by Amy Lam
2 medium kohlrabi
1/3 cup of rice vinegar
3 tbsp of cane sugar
1/4 tsp of salt
3 tbsp of lime juice
1/4 tsp of salt
2 tbsp of honey
1 Thai red chilli, finely chopped
a pinch of freshly ground pepper
5 - 6 sprigs of mint
1/3 cup of peanuts, toasted
- Peel kohlrabi and carrots. Finely shred both the kohlrabi and carrots with a mandolin or a knife.
- Marinate the shredded kohlrabi and carrots in rice vinegar, cane sugar and salt for at least 1 hr in the fridge or overnight.
- Whisk together lime juice, salt, honey, pepper and chili for the dressing. Pour into the marinated kohlrabi and carrots and toss evenly to coat.
- Remove mint leaves from stem. Chiffonade mint by stacking several leaves together and rolling tightly into a tube and slice into thin strips. Mix into the salad.
- Toast peanuts in 350F oven for 15 - 20 min or until fragrant. Stir frequently to prevent burning. Remove husks and crush peanuts in a mortar and pestle.
- Serve salad garnished with crushed peanuts.
Quick Kohlrabi Pickles
Recipe by Lorie Crawford of Zing!
1 lb. kohlrabi
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp course sea salt
1 garlic clove
¼ tsp peppercorns
¼ tsp red chili flakes
- Wash & dry a litre mason jar.
- Clean & peel kohlrabi. Using mandolin or food processor, slice kohlrabi into thin sticks. Place in jar.
- Combine remaining ingredients in pot and bring to a boil. Once brine is boiling vigorously, remove from heat and carefully pour brine over the kohlrabi.
- Place lids on jars and let sit to cool. Once jars are cool to touch, refrigerate the pickles & serve with salads, meats or cheeses.
Lessons from #kohlrabikraze
If it's anything we have learned, it's to never doubt Yellowknifers' ability to back and support something weird. Kohlrabi, we've also learned, have friends far and wide. Politicians, babies, reality show pilots, filmmakers -- you are all friends of kohlrabi. Here's a round up of some of our favourite memories with our kohlrabi ambassadors, Karl and Kristina.